1982 – B. Sci. in Biology, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain
1987.- Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain
Sept 1991- Dec 1992 Associate research scientist at the National Institute for Medical Research. London (UK).
July 1989- Aug 1991 Postdoc at the National Institute for Medical Research. London (UK).
1988-June 1989 Postdoc at Centre for Biomedical Research Alberto Sols, CSIC-UAM, Madrid.
- 2004 Full Professor and Head of Department at the Cajal Institute, Madrid
- August 2000 -2003 Associate Professor at the Cajal Institute, Madrid.
- Jan 1993 - July 2000 Assistant Professor and Group Leader at the Cajal Institute, Madrid
- 2011-2014. Vice-chair of the European Molecular Biology Conference (EMBC).
- 2008-2013. President of the Scientific Board for Courses at International University Menéndez Pelayo (Valencia)
- 2004-2012. Member of the Advisory Board for Chief Editor at EMBO Publications
- 2012. Member of Committee for tercentennial celebration of the Spanish National Library
- 2004-2010 Member of Faculty of 1000 (Developmental Biology)
- 2005-2009 Member of the EMBO Committee for Publications and Electronic Information
- 2006-2009 Member of the Scientific Committee for the Genome Project Spain
- 2004-2008 Associate Editor of Developmental Dynamics
- 2004-2008 Member of the Executive Committee of the Spanish Research Council (CSIC)
- 2004-2007 Member of the FEBS fellowships Committee.
- 2003-2006 Committee Member for Ethics and Animal Experimentation of the Spanish Research Council (CSIC)
- 2000-2004 Treasurer of the Spanish Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- 1995-2006 Executive Committee Member Spanish Society for Developmental Biology
2004- Full Professor and Head of Developmental Neurobiology (2005-) at Instituto de Neurociencias, CSIC-UMH, Alicante
- President of the Spanish Society of Developmental Biology (SEBD)
- Spanish Scientific Delegate for the European Molecular Biology laboratory (EMBL) and the European Molecular Biology Conference (EMBC). Vice-chair of EMBL
- Member of the Board of Directors of the International Society of Differentiation
- Member of the European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO)
- Member of the Academy of Europe (Academia Europaea)
- Past-President of the EMT International Association (TEMTIA).
- Member of CONCYTEC. Permanent Research and Technology Council of the Government of Valencia.
- Member of ACCGV. High Advisory Council of the Valencian Government.
- Member of Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) of
- Member of SAC for:
* The National Center for Oncological Research (CNIO), Madrid
* Center for Genomic Regulation (CRG), Barcelona
* Institute of Functional Genomics, Lyon, France
* Institut de Biologie du Développement de Marseille (IBDML) Marseille, France
* Ramón y Cajal Hospital, Madrid
* “Centro de Ciencias de Benasque Pedro Pascual”
* Biomedical Research Institute “IDIBELL” Barcelona
* Andalusian Centre for Developmental Biology (CABD). Seville.
-Editorial Board member for EMBO J, EMBO reports, Trends in Genetics; Current Opinion in Genetics and Development, Mechanisms of Development, Gene Expression Patterns and Int. J. Dev. Biol.
We are interested in the analysis of cell movements and cell plasticity in health and disease. Our group studies the regulation of epithelial-mesenchymal transitions (EMT) during vertebrate embryonic development and in several pathologies including cancer and fibrosis.
Ocaña, O.H., Matheu, A., Rizzoti, K., Wise,C., Lovell-Badge, R. and Nieto, M.A.
Reciprocal repression between Sox3 and Snail transcription factors defines embryonic territories at gastrulation.
Córcoles, R., Fabra, A., Moreno-Bueno, G., Acloque, H., Vega, S., Barrallo-Gimeno, A., Cano, A. and Nieto, M.A.
Metastatic colonization requires the repression of the epithelial-mesenchymal transition inducer Prrx1.
Vega S., Cano A., Portillo F. and Nieto MA.
eEF1A mediates the nuclear export of SNAG-containing proteins via the Exportin5-aatRNA complex.
Epithelial plasticity: a common theme in embryonic and cancer cells.
Sanchez-Laorden B.L., Lopez-Blau, C., De Frutos, C.A., Boutet, A., Rowe, G., Weiss, S. J., Lopez-Novoa, J.M. and Nieto, M.A.
Snail1-induced partial epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition drives renal fibrosis in mice and can be targeted to reverse established disease